GROUND SOURCE HEAT PUMPS – HOW DO THEY WORK?
If you want to install a ground source heat pump, Aztec Heat Pumps are experts and install many of these across Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire. So how do they work?
Energy is extracted from the ground which gains its energy from the sun and rain. An exception is Iceland which has it coming up from below, I can vouch for this having boiled a foot there when taking a photo of a geyser.
The pump transmits the into the building, where it heats both the hot water cylinder and the rooms. Either radiators or alternatively an underfloor heating system can be used together with this type of pump.
Following careful installation, ground source heating is reliable and requires little maintenance. It will supply up to 4.5kWs of heat energy for every kW of electricity.
THERE ARE 3 HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS TO EXTRACT THIS ENERGY
- Horizontal – Closed Loops of pipe laid in trenches giving out /back runs, filled with glycol (brine circuit).
- Vertical – Closed Loops of pipe running up/down in bore holes, filled with glycol.
- Water – Called an Open Loop energy is extracted from water from underground or lakes using a plate heat exchanger. Great care must be taken when designing these.
- This reliable heating system has an expected life of 20 years plus with low maintenance.
- Ground Source Heat Pumps have better stability throughout the year, as the ground temperature from where the energy is being extracted changes little during the winter.
- The cost of running these is lower than for other heating sources including gas cylinders, oil and electricity, and can be compared with the cost of mains gas.
- Installing pumps as the heating source for a new building will mean you avoid the initial high cost of a gas connection, but benefit from similar running costs following installation, considering for a new build it will avoid the high gas connection costs while giving similar run costs.
GOVERNMENT FINANCIAL INCENTIVES
A ground source heat pump will qualify for the government’s Renewable Heat Incentive, applying for domestic and commercial installations.
HIGHER QUALITY EQUIPMENT INSTALLED BY US
As solar installtion experts, we have a good knowledge of what equipment is available. This means we can advise you on what systems are appropriate for your property. We as a company work closely with our suppliers and through them are in direct contact with the likes of IDM, Samsung UK and Viesmann. We provide systems which give reliable service and need little maintenance, including engineered hydraulics and hot water cylinders.
We give a beginning to end turn key service which includes all documentation for the DNO, right through to applying for the Renewable Heat Incentive. In the case of a new build, get in touch with us early to help plan your installation and ensure it goes smoothly.
See more recommendations on our testimonial page. Please get in touch if oyu would like to speak to our customers or visdit them to see our work.
Janus – Replacement a heat pump previously installed with a Viessman Vitocal 300 to give an efficient, functional & reliable solution with the RHI covering all the cost. Running off vertical bores in a city environment.
Antonius – An open loop IDM 24 Twin Terra Ground Source Heat Pump System fitted to a priory.